Singer, Duncan Mighty shared a photo of one of his cars today, March 7, 2016 on Instagram as he gave tips on what to do when your tyre bursts while on top speed.
Popularly referred to as Port Harcourt‘s first son, Duncan gave six tips on what to do in the event of having a burst tyre.
“WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU HAVE A TYRE BLOWOUT
In the event of the unfortunate death of Nigeria’s minister of state for labour due to an accident occasioned by a tyre blowout and the fact that in Nigeria now-a-days, we have many untrained drivers, it has become pertinent for me to write this.
There are 6 simple steps to take within a maximum of 2 minutes and you will be safe, these by the grace of God I have been familiar with for decades. They are as follow:
(1) DON’T PANIC in the event of a blowout, calm yourself down fast because your car will start misbehaving and you need to take charge.
(2) Hold FIRMLY to your steering wheel with both hand, NO VIGOROUS TURNING, as you concentrate on the road and your mirrors, in seconds study the movement pattern of the car. Your car will naturally swerve to the direction of the burst tyre.
(3) Gradually take off your foot from the accelerator, DON’T EVER ATTEMPT TO PRESS THE BRAKES, IF YOU DO, YOU HAVE A 95% CHANCE OF A SOMERSAULT. The car will decelerate gradually while you concentrate on the road to avoid collision with any other road user.
(4) Disengage the gears of the car by shifting to neutral (N) as you still maintain a firm grip on the sheering wheel and put your eyes on the road.
(5) After a while depending on your initial speed, your car come to a speed less than 60km/h when it is now safe to GRADUALLY apply the brakes and navigate to the side walk
(6) Ultimately, it is now safe to put the car to a complete stop and turn off the engine. You have just saved yourself and passengers from untimely death.”