Phone: 08024539410 | BBM: 5921A4A5
The South African Ambassador to Nigeria, Lulu Mnguni, said in a news conference on Friday that the $15m earlier seized from some Nigerians by the South African Government had been released to Nigeria.
The South African Government had, on September 5, 2014, seized $9.3m cash belonging to Nigeria and a month later seized another $5.7m, claiming that both funds were to be used for illegal purchase of arms, www.thecable.ng reported.
However, Nigeria’s National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki, said the transactions were legal, urging the South African Government to stop actions that could degenerate to a diplomatic showdown.
The South African Government on October 14, 2014 said it would return the money to Nigeria.
Mnguni also spoke on the collapsed building in the Synagogue church in Lagos State and its effect on the relationship between the two countries.
He said that the two countries had come a long way and that the development would only make them remain stronger.
“South Africa’s relations with Nigeria has come a long way, so now this actually will make us much closer, to see how we can close some of these gaps that result in such accidents,” he said.
The South African ambassador added that the seizure of the funds was in no way related to the Synagogue collapse.
“South Africa’s relation with Nigeria is priceless; it cannot be sold for $15m,” he said.